Swain at a Glance
"We nurture the collective joy of learning and individual spirit within each child" - D. Esther Swain, Founder (1929)
- Preschool (three year olds) through eighth grade
- A coeducational, non-denominational college-preparatory school
- 323 students
- A student/teacher ratio of 7:1
- Located on 20 picturesque acres in suburban Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Faculty: 39 full-time and 3 part-time
- Administrative and Staff: 18 full-time and 3 part-time
- Average class size is 14
Swain’s program of academics is a challenging, interdisciplinary approach to learning. These subjects are taught at all grade levels:
|Language Arts||Spanish||Character Education|
|Social Studies||Visual Arts||Technology|
Subjects such as writing, Engineering and Design, public speaking, and Wellness are added to the curriculum as the students progress through the grades.
In addition, all students participate in our character education programs – a variety of character-building programs and events such as Virtue of the Month, community service projects, Town Meetings and the Buddy Program, that teach ethical values and develop each student’s sense of self.
- Bright cheerful classrooms, many with SMART Boards (interactive white boards)
- The Imaginate Center, a fully-equipped Makerspace
- Full-resource library with computers/SMART Board and special reading room
- Full-size gym/performing arts center
- Science lab
- Dedicated classrooms for visual arts, vocal music, instrumental music, drama, and science
- Commons for large group gatherings
- Award-winning organic garden
- Preschool and Prekindergarten: Classes begin at 8 a.m. There are two dismissal options: 12:30 p.m. and 3:10 p.m
- Kindergarten – Eighth Grade: The school day runs from 8 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
- Extended Care Program: 7:30–8 a.m. and 3-5:30 p.m.
TEAM SPORTS AT SWAIN
|Archery||Boys Basketball||Boys Lacrosse|
|Cross Country||Cross Training||CrossFit|
|Soccer||Girls Basketball||Girls Lacrosse|
Swain also offers an Indoor Field Hockey club experience during the winter months, for an additional fee.
THE SWAIN SCHOOL HOLDS ACCREDITATION FROM
- Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools
- Middle States Association
WE ARE MEMBERS OF
- National Association of Independent Schools
- Middle Schools Association
- Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools
- Secondary School Admissions Test Board