Virtual Learning at Swain
Please visit this page frequently; it will serve as the repository for all-things distance learning.
Our goal during this time of uncertainty is to continue delivering an exceptional learning experience for all students. Although the remote learning environment will never replicate in-person instruction, our hope is to continue to build academic skills, nurture social-emotional learning, and deepen relationships between teachers and students.
The Virtual Learning Plan (VLP) is a dynamic document that describes how The Swain School will approach hybrid and virtual teaching and learning during the 2020-2021 school year. The intent is to set up protocols for learning remotely that will be continuous for hybrid students and eventually into a totally virtual mode, should that need arise.
If our COVID-19 protocols or local health officials deem it necessary, the decision to close The Swain School’s campus will be made by the Head of School after consultation with members of the school’s administrative team, COVID planning team and board leadership. Should such a decision be made, the school will communicate with faculty, staff, and families to provide information regarding the factors that necessitate the closure. **For an unplanned virtual period, there will be a 2 day transitional planning planning period between in-person and virtual. This will allow teachers and families to prepare.
Swain faculty will work to create opportunities for virtual social interactions and provide feedback to students on their learning through a variety of methods. Our goals are to provide students with continued opportunities to maintain connections with their teachers and classmates and to engage in meaningful learning experiences. We have learned a great deal about how to achieve these goals and will continue to work on improving. As has been true since the beginning of the pandemic, we will need to be patient as we implement our virtual learning plan.
This document contains information on the channels and platforms the school will use for communication, as well as shared expectations for faculty, families, and students as we all work together to continue the teaching and learning process remotely.
We are here to support you in any way we can during this uncertain time. You can also view all of current COVID-19 protocols here.
- Establish daily routines for engaging in the learning experiences (ex. Wake up at the same time every day as you would if campus was open).
- Identify a productive and quiet space in your home where you can work effectively.
- Regularly monitor your online platforms (School email, Google Classroom, Seesaw) to check for announcements and feedback from teachers.
- Complete assignments with integrity and academic honesty.
- Do your best to meet timelines, commitments, due dates, and class attendance expectations.
- Communicate with teachers if you cannot meet deadlines or require additional support.
- Comply with The Swain School’s expectations and guidelines regarding technology, including expectations for online behavior and etiquette and academic honesty.