Welcome to Virtual Learning at Swain!
Please visit this page frequently; it will serve as the repository for all-things distance learning until we are able to gather in person again at school.
Our goal during this time of uncertainty is to continue delivering an exceptional learning experience for all students. Although the remote learning environment will never replicate in-person instruction, our hope is to continue to build academic skills, nurture social-emotional learning, and deepen relationships between teachers and students.
The following Virtual Learning Plan was created in response to the Spring 2020 situation surrounding COVID-19. This plan was designed to provide direction during this uncertain time and will be updated as needed. You can also view all of our past updates on the COVID-19 outbreak.
We are here to support you in any way we can during this time that we are #TogetherApart.
As of Monday, March 30th, the following recommendations and structures were put into place for virtual learning:
- Students in grades PS-K and grades 1st-3rd should follow these guidelines (PS-K or Gr 1-3) for academic and play time each day (we know that for some families certain restraints make this impossible - this is simply a guide). Teachers will be providing more specific details in their class emails.
- Students in grades 4 - 8 should follow these schedules to participate in the live teaching sessions, in addition to completing individual work each day.
- Homeroom teachers will communicate on Sunday and Tuesday evenings via email to outline the objectives, activities, and schedules for the week.
- All live lessons will be recorded and archived on our secure google classroom accounts so that students may go back and review the lessons.
- All students/families will have weekly check-ins with their homeroom teacher or advisor.
- Additional resources including specialist (art, p.e., music, library, etc.) lessons and general academic and enrichment activities are provided on the Virtual Learning page of our website.
NOTE: Our schedules follow best practices for online and homeschool learning. Although the traditional school day goes from 8:00 - 3:00, it is not appropriate for students to be working on academics for seven hours a day at home. Please keep this in mind as you navigate your child’s needs.
- Establish daily routines for engaging in the learning experiences (ex. Wake up at the same time every day as you would if campus was open).
- Identify a productive and quiet space in your home where you can work effectively.
- Regularly monitor your online platforms (School email, Google Classroom, Seesaw) to check for announcements and feedback from teachers.
- Complete assignments with integrity and academic honesty.
- Do your best to meet timelines, commitments, due dates, and class attendance expectations.
- Communicate with teachers if you cannot meet deadlines or require additional support.
- Comply with The Swain School’s expectations and guidelines regarding technology, including expectations for online behavior and etiquette and academic honesty.